Michael Mangini On Drums!
Michael Mangini is a technical genius on the drums. He wrote two "Rhythm Knowledge" books, one of which has a technical exercise that I swear expanded my brain power just by doing it slowly and badly!
He's also a super-nice guy. I met him for the first time in 1999 after a Steve Vai concert. The second time, two days later on the same tour, he spent a good amount of time explaining his one-handed snare drum roll to me.
He's also really short and has an outrageous Boston accent. This first clip is him playing along with a Nuno Bettencourt guitar track from the band Extreme.
BEYOND Ridiculous: (go to 1:30 on this next one for some INSANITY!)
I believe those are just super-fast doubles, but I could be wrong. It goes by pretty dang quick!
One more just for fun, him playing along to a Steve Vai track (one of my faves from the Fire Garden CD):
Oops! I love YouTube. Just found this one:
ONE audible stick click on the rim at the end? How sick is that?
He's also a super-nice guy. I met him for the first time in 1999 after a Steve Vai concert. The second time, two days later on the same tour, he spent a good amount of time explaining his one-handed snare drum roll to me.
He's also really short and has an outrageous Boston accent. This first clip is him playing along with a Nuno Bettencourt guitar track from the band Extreme.
BEYOND Ridiculous: (go to 1:30 on this next one for some INSANITY!)
I believe those are just super-fast doubles, but I could be wrong. It goes by pretty dang quick!
One more just for fun, him playing along to a Steve Vai track (one of my faves from the Fire Garden CD):
Oops! I love YouTube. Just found this one:
ONE audible stick click on the rim at the end? How sick is that?

1 Comments:
You would have to be that quick to play with Vai. I never heard of this guy before, thanks for the post.
Post a Comment
<< Home