Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mike Movie Madness (Reviews) Triple-Play Style...

I've been going to the movies quite a bit lately. Eating some good popcorn too.

First off: Michael Clayton. Has George Clooney, and I usually dislike him. But I really liked him in this one. Not because he did such a good job, but because overall the movie was very good. It's understated, maybe too much for most movie fans. But I liked how the typical over-emoting was not simply not present. I don't recall a score, but it may have simply been unobtrusive. I hate when the music score tries to tell you how to feel. TV's Law & Order's has been AWFUL for this for a very long time. It's a pathetic tactic to compensate for bad acting or directing or both.

Good suspenseful movie, well acted. I'll go 4/5. Just because of how non-typical Hollywood it is.

30 Days of Night. Vampire flick. Interesting twist on the horror movie monster staple. Bestial vampires, very much so. Not great, but decent popcorn movie. Cool camera work, very harried, but not annoyingly so. And not so bad as to cause the viewer to miss much of anything. 3/5

American Gangster. No really great acting on anyone's part. Decent story, also somewhat understated. And gratefully so, as far as I'm concerned. No goofy antics like Training Day. No speeches like in Gladiator.

The thing that strikes me about Denzel's character is how utterly rational it is that he become what he becomes. In all ways.

It makes you think how sad it is that some folks' best shot could be dealing drugs. And how messed up it is that we give cops so much power over our lives, regardless if we have to suffer the consequences of that fact or not. 4/5

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home