Regional Colloquialism Or Am I Just A Dullard?
Dang it! I left one "L" off of "Colloquialism"...
Anyway... I was watching "Homicide: Life on the Street" on "Sleuth" network this evening and this phrase was uttered that made me reflect on a past conversation.
They referred to a drug dealer as "a piece of work". It wasn't flattering.
Anyway, in this past conversation, I was very annoyed with this girl and said "You're a real piece of work".
From the tone of the conversation from that point on, I think she took that to mean that I equated "piece of work" with "piece of shit".
I didn't. And don't.
I always thought it meant "You're one of a kind" in a snide / sarcastic sort of way. Like, "You're a pain in the neck and it MIGHT be a good thing they broke the mold when they made you."
At the time, I thought she was overreacting, as females are certainly wont to do.
But now I'm not so sure and I'm wondering if I unintentionally really insulted her.
I'm looking for SERIOUS thoughts on this. So if anyone has an opinion, just let me know:
If someone said "You're a piece of work"... how would YOU take it?
Anyway... I was watching "Homicide: Life on the Street" on "Sleuth" network this evening and this phrase was uttered that made me reflect on a past conversation.
They referred to a drug dealer as "a piece of work". It wasn't flattering.
Anyway, in this past conversation, I was very annoyed with this girl and said "You're a real piece of work".
From the tone of the conversation from that point on, I think she took that to mean that I equated "piece of work" with "piece of shit".
I didn't. And don't.
I always thought it meant "You're one of a kind" in a snide / sarcastic sort of way. Like, "You're a pain in the neck and it MIGHT be a good thing they broke the mold when they made you."
At the time, I thought she was overreacting, as females are certainly wont to do.
But now I'm not so sure and I'm wondering if I unintentionally really insulted her.
I'm looking for SERIOUS thoughts on this. So if anyone has an opinion, just let me know:
If someone said "You're a piece of work"... how would YOU take it?

1 Comments:
I always thought it meant "You're one of a kind" in a snide / sarcastic sort of way. Like, "You're a pain in the neck and it MIGHT be a good thing they broke the mold when they made you."
Thats about how I would take it. It has a slight negative connotation.
Post a Comment
<< Home