Tuesday, May 27, 2008

That's Certainly An Explanation...

http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas/?p=10544

Stephen Soderberg regarding leaving Che Guevara's butchery off the silver screen:
“I’ve read the anti-Che literature out there. I get the arguments. I feel there’s no amount of barbarity I could put on the screen that would satisfy them.”

Another would be "I'm a pussy liberal douchebag that idolizes a murderous coward".

I like mine better.

But I can see his point. If you were to actually film scenes of Che bravely shooting dead young teenage boys threatening his regime from behind prison bars, you might find it harder to generate sympathy for your subject, let alone good word of mouth for raising movie attendance. Kind of hard on that whole bottom line return-on-investment thang.

How ironic if capitalistic concerns prevent the truth being told about a stupid better-off-dead communist. One would think Che himself would herald such actions as "being necessary to bring about the perfect state".

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Shane M. White said...

Why does "the truth" have to be told via film?

Can't people just pick up a book and read about this person?

You talk anti-capitalist, but then you're supporting capitalism by being upset that they aren't making a film... Interesting...

4:13 PM, May 27, 2008  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

Okay, I'll explain this really slow here.

I'm saying that because this doucheBerg doesn't want to lose the audience's sympathy for his cowardly hero he will not show the truth about him in order to make more money.

That should make the Communist Che spin in his grave since Communists are anti-capitalists.

Understand now?

6:21 PM, May 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home