Well I Feel Better! EDIT: Cigar Question
I note that most times, about halfway through a cigar it starts tasting bad. Why is this? How do I prevent this from occurring?
Anyone have an idea? Am I drawing too often? Not often enough? Tannin accumulation? Hell if I know.
It's bad enough I know I can buy the same cigar from two different places and have a vastly different smoking experience.
I'm just trying to figure this out to save dough and get better smokes. I don't smoke cigars anywhere close to often, but this is starting to frustrate me. I don't like wasting $6 for nothing. If I can figure this out, I would gladly buy a humidor.
EDIT: A pretty good explanation HERE.
"Q: How far down should you smoke a cigar?
Anyone have an idea? Am I drawing too often? Not often enough? Tannin accumulation? Hell if I know.
It's bad enough I know I can buy the same cigar from two different places and have a vastly different smoking experience.
I'm just trying to figure this out to save dough and get better smokes. I don't smoke cigars anywhere close to often, but this is starting to frustrate me. I don't like wasting $6 for nothing. If I can figure this out, I would gladly buy a humidor.
EDIT: A pretty good explanation HERE.
"Q: How far down should you smoke a cigar?
There's no single rule here. The basic fact of cigar smoking is this: as you smoke, there is a buildup of tars and nicotine at the head of the cigar. Therefore, the more you smoke, the stronger the taste of the cigar will become.
Some people prefer that stronger taste and like to smoke the cigar to the knuckle-burning stage. Others find that the taste becomes harsh and/or bitter, and they prefer to stop smoking at about the halfway point. The only rule of thumb is to stop smoking the cigar when the taste becomes unpleasant."
I am glad to see this is a rather common thing. Although I note the editor can't count.Labels: cigars

10 Comments:
fill it with mary jane...that will insure a good even smoke. and if it doesn't, you won't know anyways.
You had a shitty cigar. Good, smooth cigars(unless your into more "harsh" cigars) cost more than $6, it's actually more like $12 and over. My wife bought a great Arturo Fuente (sp?) when my first son was born that was just the bees' knees and it cost $15. Cubans are overrated because most of the orignal makers have fled Cuba. My father in law bought a traditional Cuban that gave me a headache. The best are Punch, Arturo Fuente, H Upmann, Montecristos aren't bad. If your adventureous Gurkha cigars are great, but very expensive. Cigar smoking is a very expensive habit, which is why I do it sparingly, plus the fact that I signed a non smoking waiver at the hospital where I work doesn't make things any easier. If you want a humidor start out very small and let those suckers soak for a week or so. I would also suggest making a trip to Hardwicke's downtown(or Broad Ripple). They have great employees and will point you in the right direction in terms of your taste. Just don't be shocked to spend a little dough.
Wow!
Nice blog! I really enjoyed the visit. God Bless!!!
Terry
I don't care about "good cigars". I have had wonderful cigars for $4.50. If I can have a great smoking experience for that price level, I will continue to do so.
And they still have the "halfway through" thing happen to them.
They taste fine or better than fine at the start but change while smoking. It's just that simple.
And why the hell would you sign a non-smoking waiver? What's the logic behind them having one and you signing one?
If you can find a good cigar for under $5 god bless ya. I usually spend like $8 or more for a good cigar, like my beer, I'm a cigar snob. If we want lower insurance (we get money back if we don't smoke) we have to sign a non smoking waiver. So I haven't had a good cigar for quite some time.
Prevention of what?
George Burns smoked and drank every day of his life and live to a zillion.
My best friend's sister in law did neither and died of lung cancer earlier this year.
I can't make any sense of it all. So I doubt I'll be quitting smoking or drinking anytime soon.
I would agree with you but I am always around long time smokers whos lungs are complete crap and will basically die (or their lifestyle is completly restricted)in the next few years and they are always in their late 40's to early 60's. They all regret (except for a few) even taking up smoking in the first place. When you start getting that smoker's "hack" or start spending a lot more time in the hospital due to pneumonia I would start thinking about quitting.
If my once every two months cigar is going to off me, then I never had a chance anyway.
Ah. I thought you meant everyday.
Post a Comment
<< Home