I Miss Blogging...
But the world has seemed to move on to the dorkiness that is Facebook.
I hate it. It's silly and fun at times, but there's less "there" than there is HERE.
It's so ephemeral and transient and vaporish.
I was reflecting the other day on "letters". A few years back, I found a diary my great-grandfather Leland Baker kept in his old house. The place he would shoot squirrels with squirt guns to keep them off of the bird feeders.
Kids in 100 years won't find that stuff from us. Our words will go onto Facebook or its successors, only to be deleted whenever the program says "purge".
We will matter less to our descendants than our ancestors do to us now. I find that sad.
I'm sure I'm not the first to think this way, but it's saddening and sobering.
Add your thoughts if you wish.
I hate it. It's silly and fun at times, but there's less "there" than there is HERE.
It's so ephemeral and transient and vaporish.
I was reflecting the other day on "letters". A few years back, I found a diary my great-grandfather Leland Baker kept in his old house. The place he would shoot squirrels with squirt guns to keep them off of the bird feeders.
Kids in 100 years won't find that stuff from us. Our words will go onto Facebook or its successors, only to be deleted whenever the program says "purge".
We will matter less to our descendants than our ancestors do to us now. I find that sad.
I'm sure I'm not the first to think this way, but it's saddening and sobering.
Add your thoughts if you wish.
Labels: legacy

3 Comments:
You know you can back this stuff up to disk.
I write most of my posts in Word first, so the originals are on my hard drive, then I cut-paste to blogger.
Blogger's spellcheck sucks.
Yeah, but what's the likelihood that some kid 100 years from now will have a CD drive and the programs to read it?
(Get Firefox' spellcheck. It rocks.)
Can't use Firefox at work. Data Nazi's don't allow me to load my own choices of software. At home I use Chrome.
You can also back them up to your choice of media (DVD, flash, USB hard drive), and copy them to whatever the latest media standard is as needed. This isn't as hard a problem as you are making it.
Post a Comment
<< Home