Screw Prohibition Anyway!
http://thespiritworld.net/2007/02/05/maraschino-cherries/
I was thinking about this yesterday. I found some Makers Mark Bourbon cherries at a gourmet stores. But even these $9.99 per jar cherries have crappy artificial ingredients and the taste is not as good as I'd hoped. There's a fake taste I can't identify that just turns me off. It's not so bad in a cocktail, but eating the cherries out of the jar or after finishing off the drink... it's just not right.
It got me wondering what kind of cherries are used to make maraschino (cocktail) cherries and if I could make my own, better tasting version.
So I found this article on the above link. Of course I found yet more government idiocy messing things up. Yet again. This time, it's a legacy from Prohibition. Asses.
But, to turn this into a positive, I think I'm going to get some dried cherries from Trader Joes and soak them in a simple syrup. Then I'm going to make one batch soaking in a 50% simple syrup / 50% bourbon solution and see how those turn out.
I'll try to remember to post about them here when I taste the results.
If this idea doesn't work, I think I'll blanch or go through the first steps of canning cherries and work from there.
Of course, if anyone has a line on real Maraschino cherries, I'm all ears.
P.S.:
Wonderful commentary, from the link: "I grew up in Oregon where (I am sad to say) the process for creating maraschino cherries was developed. We had several canneries in town and it was amazing to see what the brine did to people’s hands. I won’t go into detail and, yes, the brine is long gone by the time you eat them, but still it was very bad."
I have come to believe that more of those traces of processing go into our bodies than the FDA would like us to believe.
The bottom line: the more natural and less processed, the better.
OOOO: Found myself a recipe HERE.
I was thinking about this yesterday. I found some Makers Mark Bourbon cherries at a gourmet stores. But even these $9.99 per jar cherries have crappy artificial ingredients and the taste is not as good as I'd hoped. There's a fake taste I can't identify that just turns me off. It's not so bad in a cocktail, but eating the cherries out of the jar or after finishing off the drink... it's just not right.
It got me wondering what kind of cherries are used to make maraschino (cocktail) cherries and if I could make my own, better tasting version.
So I found this article on the above link. Of course I found yet more government idiocy messing things up. Yet again. This time, it's a legacy from Prohibition. Asses.
But, to turn this into a positive, I think I'm going to get some dried cherries from Trader Joes and soak them in a simple syrup. Then I'm going to make one batch soaking in a 50% simple syrup / 50% bourbon solution and see how those turn out.
I'll try to remember to post about them here when I taste the results.
If this idea doesn't work, I think I'll blanch or go through the first steps of canning cherries and work from there.
Of course, if anyone has a line on real Maraschino cherries, I'm all ears.
P.S.:
Wonderful commentary, from the link: "I grew up in Oregon where (I am sad to say) the process for creating maraschino cherries was developed. We had several canneries in town and it was amazing to see what the brine did to people’s hands. I won’t go into detail and, yes, the brine is long gone by the time you eat them, but still it was very bad."
I have come to believe that more of those traces of processing go into our bodies than the FDA would like us to believe.
The bottom line: the more natural and less processed, the better.
OOOO: Found myself a recipe HERE.
Labels: alcohol, drinking, food, government

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home