Give Away ALL The Music, Why Don't You?
Radiohead letting folks name their own price.
Shane and I talked about this some time ago. I said it's nuts because most would just d/l it and pay nothing. And I was right. Most people are cheap bastards.
The really funny thing is that they said they've made more money off of this album's paid downloads than they made from any of their previous ones.
Terry Bozzio (drummer) said something along the same lines. He said he can make more money selling 100 CDs direct from his own web site than he can signing with any label. Because Terry Bozzio's fans are going to find and buy his stuff, no matter the source.
Interesting times ahead for the music world.
Shane and I talked about this some time ago. I said it's nuts because most would just d/l it and pay nothing. And I was right. Most people are cheap bastards.
The really funny thing is that they said they've made more money off of this album's paid downloads than they made from any of their previous ones.
Terry Bozzio (drummer) said something along the same lines. He said he can make more money selling 100 CDs direct from his own web site than he can signing with any label. Because Terry Bozzio's fans are going to find and buy his stuff, no matter the source.
Interesting times ahead for the music world.

2 Comments:
You WERE right. I thought more "fans" would be willing to throw a couple of bucks (at least) at Radiohead, to support them. I would have, if I liked Radiohead. (I did NOT download the album at all, since I don't really care about them)
You were right, Michael.
I'm not making this post just cuz I'm right. I think it's a very interesting article. And in a way I was wrong, because I thought they wouldn't make diddly-squat on this endeavor.
(I would be one of those guys paying $15 for a download of this type for a band I like.)
You'll see a large expansion of this type of sales soon. The costs are so minimal and you can run your entire "record label" for peanuts compared to how much of a percentage you get of the leftovers when selling your music to a label.
I would think this would be a perfect solution for bands that used to sell well but have seen their big audiences die off.
The leftover fans (the die-hards) will pay online and probably support the band better than whatever they're doing now.
Post a Comment
<< Home