Monday, July 28, 2008

Coochie-Coochie Puke...

From Rachel Lucas' blog (here):

"Williams, who has more than 20 years of experience as a nurse working with older adults, says that based on this assumption, many hospital and nursing-home caregivers communicate in “elderspeak.”

This includes using basic vocabulary and grammar, speaking in a high-pitched or loud voice, sounding overly caring or controlling, and using terms of endearment such as “honey” and “sweetie,” Williams says.

“Elderspeak is a kind of talk or communication that is common between younger adults and older adults in a variety of settings,” she says, adding that it’s not too far from “baby talk.”

But her latest study, presented Monday at the 2008 Alzheimer’s Association International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease, shows that this language might have the opposite effect.

…When staff members spoke in elderspeak, the residents’ resistance to care nearly doubled compared with when staff spoke normally.

Even in silence, dementia patients were more cooperative than when hearing elderspeak."

I hate baby talk. I've hated it for a long time. Even babies should never have to endure the idiocy that is baby talk. It's insulting to their dignity and does nothing to stir their brains.

But the very idea that one can be in a home having to endure adults talking to you like that is maddening.

But that's pretty much par for the course. Many health care "professionals" routinely talk down to you as a patient. I don't know why they automatically assume you're an imbecile, but far too many do so.

Having a fat-ass nurse lecture me on "what's healthy" has especially made me want to hurt someone more than once.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Wonder Woman said...

Talk down or empathize?

I don't like a too direct health care professional. I like the mild, sweetness of cushioning...

Guess it's about preferences, dude :)

10:32 PM, August 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home