Sunday, November 22, 2009

You Spilled Your Pumpkin In My Beer!

Or, something like that.

I received an email from Vine & Table up in Carmel talking about a pumpkin beer. That intrigued so I trekked up there and got three different single bottles of PUMPKIN beer / ale / whatever.

This here Schlafly Pumpkin Ale was the first one I tried out.

Quite spicy on the nose, on the tongue and in the aftertaste. I don't taste a lot of pumpkin compared to the traditional pumpkin spice notes but it's certainly present. Sort of an undertaste, if that's even a word.

I read a reviewer that said he didn't taste the beer. I have to disagree. To me, the beer is like the vanilla ice cream base in Cookies & Cream ice cream. It's not the star of the show, but it's always there. You certainly aren't going to confuse drinking this with a smooth liquor or a milkshake!

I really like the label. This scan cuts it off, but to the left it says "Bottled with love on" and then gives a "birthday" for the bottle. Something about that really amuses me.

Overall, I give this a solid 4 out of 5. And the very good taste of a very weird beer makes me think I need to try out some of this brewery's other offerings. (http://schlafly.com)

Other reviews to follow.

(And THIS sounds wonderful.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home