Stupid Liquor Laws...
So the federal government cannot ban gun possession around schools. The Supreme Court said it was too much of a reach to use the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Constitution for this purpose.
But the feds still make it illegal to make moonshine for your own use. "It's a tax crime!"
Here. Scroll down to the bottom.
"26 U.S.C. 5178(a)(1)(B): No distilled spirits plant for the production of distilled spirits shall be located in any dwelling house, in any shed, yard, or inclosure connected with any dwelling house, or on board any vessel or boat, or on premises where beer or wine is made or produced, or liquors of any description are retailed, or on premises where any other business is carried on (except when authorized under subsection (b))."
How stupid is that? I can make beer or wine at home, but not whiskey. Not that I would anyway, I need to keep my good eye from going blind. But still, it's the principle of the thing.
More stuff to piss you off. Well, maybe it's just pissing ME off...
Here.
I bought two 1.75L bottles of liquor a few weeks ago. One was Makers Mark whiskey, the other Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum. I paid $35.99 for the MM and $19.99 for the SJ. The federal excise liquor tax on the MM was $5.62 and the tax on the SJ was $5.74 according to my calculations.
So I got to pay $55.98 instead of $44.62 (BEFORE Indiana Sales tax). That's a full 25% higher price due to the f***ing Federal Government ramming it up me arse.
I'll be thinking of that every time I sip my liquor. My only (very, very, very small) consolation is that since it's based on volume and proof, when you drink more expensive liquors, the percentage of that cost going to the excise tax is smaller.
Like I said, VERY small consolation.
But the feds still make it illegal to make moonshine for your own use. "It's a tax crime!"
Here. Scroll down to the bottom.
"26 U.S.C. 5178(a)(1)(B): No distilled spirits plant for the production of distilled spirits shall be located in any dwelling house, in any shed, yard, or inclosure connected with any dwelling house, or on board any vessel or boat, or on premises where beer or wine is made or produced, or liquors of any description are retailed, or on premises where any other business is carried on (except when authorized under subsection (b))."
How stupid is that? I can make beer or wine at home, but not whiskey. Not that I would anyway, I need to keep my good eye from going blind. But still, it's the principle of the thing.
More stuff to piss you off. Well, maybe it's just pissing ME off...
Here.
I bought two 1.75L bottles of liquor a few weeks ago. One was Makers Mark whiskey, the other Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum. I paid $35.99 for the MM and $19.99 for the SJ. The federal excise liquor tax on the MM was $5.62 and the tax on the SJ was $5.74 according to my calculations.
So I got to pay $55.98 instead of $44.62 (BEFORE Indiana Sales tax). That's a full 25% higher price due to the f***ing Federal Government ramming it up me arse.
I'll be thinking of that every time I sip my liquor. My only (very, very, very small) consolation is that since it's based on volume and proof, when you drink more expensive liquors, the percentage of that cost going to the excise tax is smaller.
Like I said, VERY small consolation.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home