Tuesday, May 01, 2007

OH YEAH, BABY! Zappa Comes To INDY!

I attended a wonderful concert last December. Here's my review I posted on a few sites right after the show:

"Oh my goodness! What a show! I just bought my ticket a few days ago on Ticketbastard. I wasn't planning to go, but I did a ticket search and got 2nd row, stage right! So I really had to.

The Louisville Palace is a nice place, decent seats and good sound. The bass was way too low for my tastes, though I notice right up front usually isn't that good of a place for the best mix. So I don't know if that's "the mix" or if I were seating further back I would have liked it more.

Now, I'm not a Frank Zappa fan. I own ZERO Frank Zappa recordings except for a VHS copy of "Zappa's Universe", which is... strange to say the least. But the music they selected was incredible.

Steve Vai is my favorite musician ever. And Dweezil's "Z" band plays some of the sickest stuff I've ever heard from a rock band. But this stuff... I really see where Dweezil, Vai and Keneally get their sensibilities from. Incredible. I like the whacked out tonalities and the odd-times fly by like mad.

The band... what can you say. Everyone looked so comfortable playing some of the most complex music I've ever heard. How the whole band plays these seriously ODD times... I heard zero clams all night. Everyone looked EFFORTLESSLY excellent. Except Napoleon, who looked a little winded and was pouring out sweat.

And Vai, of course, who was grimacing like the metal god he is.

Dweezil looked cool as a cucumber while whipping out some serious chops. The kind that make me burst out in laughter from sheer joy. (I LOVE those moments!)

The only letdown was that Dweezil didn't do the video "duet" with Frank that I'd heard about. I think I heard that technical problems were plaguing them and they understandably pulled it. Oh well.

The HIGH POINT? Vai playing right in front of me for the parts he showed up for. The HIGHER point? Getting a pick from him! He threw it and no one could find it. I thought for sure it was right in front of me, so did everyone else.

Later, when the lights came up on stage, I saw it under the seat of the guy sitting next to me and I snatched that baby right up.

A great show. I think there are a few dates left, catch them if you can.

And Dweezil said they're going to try to make this an annual thing. I hope they do. I'll catch it again, and (like he said) try to bring some friends."

I know it's been almost four months, but who cares?

Also, the pick that I got? Well... when I got home, my brand new Ibanez Euphoria EP9 acoustic was sitting in a box in my driveway. That pick stays right inside. Hopefully some "Vai"-bes will rub off."

And now they're coming HERE! To Indy!

NO ONE comes here! I'm very stoked. I cannot wait to buy my ticket and I cannot wait to watch and hear this amazing band play again.

It seems like a smaller band this time, without Steve Vai or Terry Bozzio, but it's going to be amazing regardless.

IT'S GONNA RAWK!!!!!!!!!!!

www.zappa.com

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Darlin' Joy said...

When will they be in Indy?

7:03 PM, May 02, 2007  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

There are these amazing things called LINKS and I actually put one into this post.

If you click on these magic "links", you can open new web sites and find information!

:P

http://www.zappa.com/zpz/tourdates.html

Long story short, July 22nd.

11:34 PM, May 02, 2007  
Blogger Darlin' Joy said...

You'd better be glad I like you. ;)

10:06 AM, May 03, 2007  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

why?

6:18 PM, May 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home