Monday, October 20, 2008

Ads for CORN SYRUP?

I love it. The Corn Growers of America (not exact, but I don't care) are putting on TV commercials telling us that corn syrup is good for you.

Why would they do that? Because folks are waking up to the fact that corn syrup is bad like hydrogenated oils and they're scared of a ban? (Not that I support government bans just cuz something's bad for you. Hell, I support legalization of crack!)

Funny thing, corn syrup is mostly used because sugar literally costs twice what it should in this country due to government tariffs. I haven't dug into the legislative history, but I'd bet the corn industry had a hand in those tariffs being enacted.

Bastards.

1 Comments:

Blogger Luke (alias "Lines With Chrome") said...

There's been only a four-year period in this country during the 1890s when there wasn't a heavy tariff on imported sugar.

I've no doubt corn agribusiness doesn't want sugar tariffs to go away, but they're not responsible for them. That would be the sugar lobby.

Ever had a Coca-Cola with actual cane sugar? You'll never want to drink that corn syrup crap again.

3:17 PM, October 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home