Monday, April 16, 2007

This BEE Not Cool.

Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?

"It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages, as the world's harvests fail.

They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.

The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up."

and

"Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

Dr George Carlo, who headed a massive study by the US government and mobile phone industry of hazards from mobiles in the Nineties, said: "I am convinced the possibility is real."

I like bees. They're neat to watch and I love honey.

I even pet them for fun, though almost no one believes me when I say this until I do it in front of them. (Bumblebees only, thanks. Honey Bees are too tempermental.) I think I may just have to record myself doing it and put it on YouTube.

Anyway, I hope this isn't true and there's a quick and easy fix to bring back the bee populations. (Yeah, right!)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Darlin' Joy said...

I'd be interested in seeing you pet a bee...as long as I'm a safe distance away!

9:44 PM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

Silly girl. It's nothing to BEE afraid of!

11:57 PM, April 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home