Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Serious Question... HERE? Yup!

Anyone recommend a good reverse osmosis water filter? Under-sink or otherwise.

Or even a non-Brita brand no-plumbing needed stash in the fridge model? (I don't care for the Brita's post-filtration taste, personally.)

My local city water really sucks (I can hear Nate saying "Get out of the city, bitch!" now). It smells a bit funny and I figure I'm likely dehydrating a bit cuz I'm not drinking enough water.

At around $1 per gallon, I figure a good tasting filter will pay for itself in well less than a year, especially since I'll be using filtered water for my Gatorade, ice, iced tea, etc. etc. etc.

Any thoughts are very, very welcome.

2 Comments:

Blogger WendyRaf said...

I wouldn't buy an RO filter. They are insanely expensive and remove EVERYTHING including minerals from the water. (Minerals make the water taste good.) The result is dead water. Every kind of filter has plusses and minuses. Charcoal will improve the taste, but there are many contaminants that it doesn't remove. Distilled removes minerals and anything with a higher boiling point than water, but doesn't remove contaminants with a lower boiling point than water (like chlorine and gasoline products). Waiting for the water to boil is a pain too. The cost for the water should be less than $1 per gallon even with a really good filter. I'd check an NSF site or something. Not all filters are created equal. PUR filters don't really remove much of anything (which is why it's PUR instead of PURE). Don't buy the cheap filters that you have to change every month. Funky stuff can grow in them.

Sorry for the lengthy dissertation. I used to work in a chem lab where we tested for contaminants and we used an RO filter for tests and such, but we never drank it.

Cheers,
Wendy (from Vox's and Nate's Blogs)

10:53 AM, June 11, 2007  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

Sorry. The $1 per gallon was for store-bought water.

I'm using a Brita filter right now, but I'll likely upgrade soon.

Thanks for the input.

6:00 PM, June 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home