Monday, July 23, 2007

Who Cares?

"...every diehard NBA fan had the same reaction. They weren't thinking, 'I can't believe it!' or 'Oh my God, how could this happen?' They were thinking, 'Which one was it?'"

From here: Bill Simmons' article

The NBA scandal is no surprise to me in the least. A while ago, Mark Cuban made a very strong case statistically that the NBA fixes games by putting certain refs into games where the series needs to be extended.

Morally, there's no difference between what this ref Donaghy's done than what the NBA has done. Both manipulated the ref system to make more money.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Shane M. White said...

Of course, Michael.
It's just one HUGE conspiracy! It always is, right? It can't be one person acting out as a jerk. It's the ENTIRE NBA BEHIND THE ENTIRE THING!!!! Yep. It's that big. You're so right, you always are. GIANT CONSPIRACY HATCHED BY MASTERMIND DAVID STERN.

I don't believe it. One guy. Being an idiot. And getting caught. There's potential that others are doing it to, but I don't think the NBA itself has anything to do with it. They can't control the minds of those they employ. It's a wonderful thing call "free will".

And remember, I'm a die-hard Cuban fan, and I've read his blog about the subject.

9:56 AM, July 24, 2007  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

Shane: I wasn't saying the NBA told this guy to do what he did.

Re-read what I wrote.

So you think Cuban's statistical analysis was in the wrong? That the NBA doesn't manipulate the playoffs for more revenue?

You're too naive, buddy.

I saw in person with Dave how the refs gave the Pacers a fighting chance in the first Celtics game after the Detroit brawl.

The refs RAPED Boston. Hard. On both ends of the court. To give the Pacers a fighting chance in the game. Cuz otherwise they likely would have been outscored 2 to 1.

I was rooting for Indiana, but I turned to Dave and said "You're getting FUCKED".

Don't ever TRY to tell me the refs don't run games in the NBA.

10:03 AM, July 24, 2007  
Blogger Shane M. White said...

"Don't ever TRY to tell me the refs don't run games in the NBA."

Um... That's their job. F.Y.I.

11:43 AM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

No, their job is to officiate. Not to affect the outcome, which they very often do.

How do you think Michael Jordan and Shaq got to be scoring machines? Because they KNEW they'd get the call, even when they were not deserving of it.

3:14 PM, July 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home