Saturday, July 22, 2006

Get Lost! (It's great!)

No, I'm not talking about some gay TV show. I'm talking about getting lost. I did it a few times in my Mustang, but it's just way more fun on the motorcycle.

You find a strange road and go down it. Keep going. That's it. That's all there is to it.

So I did that today. I went up to Geist Reservoir and took the new road (West 1000 North Road) going east from the NE part of the loop around it. It's so strange. That place used to be all woods and farmland. Now you can tell they're getting ready to drop in more $200K cookie-cutter homes. Though with the housing boom dying down, maybe not.

So anyway, took that road out to Fortville, where Liz Dewhearst lives. I couldn't remember what street she lived on, so I just putted on through up to IN67. I took that up into the town of Ingalls and turned north.

I must say at this point: I LOVE MAPQUEST! Using it, I found the turn I took and that leads me to the next part.

Going north on 650W, I came upon this:



(Guess I should have shrouded the camera with my hand for that second shot too, eh? Back ON subject...)

I thought "Wow, this is nice." Then I noticed the barbed wire. Right there was this weird thing:
I have no idea what that is. I was thinking maybe the railroad used to run by here. I don't know. Maybe it can be explained by this:

It's a sign. You can't read it. So why did I put it up? I have no idea. I DID, however, record myself saying what it reads into the voice recorder of my cell phone. It reads:

Pendleton Correctional Facility Employee Recreational Area est 1905.

Now, this immediately pissed me off. (Of course.) Some corrupt douches running the prison in Pendleton convince the town (likely at gunpoint) to take this nice pond and keep everyone out unless they're given permission to recreate there? And it's been blocked off to the public for over 100 years. Why do we citizens allow this sort of rot?

So I fumed over that for a few minutes while riding down Fall Creek Drive (yes, it's the same Fall Creek) and on into Pendleton. Pendleton's a small town. It has a nice small "downtown" and not really too much to speak of.

But it does have a pretty nice park. I pulled in and took a few pics.

Folks feeding ducks:

The kid in the far right with the hat on stared at me for a long time. I think he was scared even though all I was doing was taking pictures with my cell phone. I always wave at little kids if I notice them looking. They (usually) seem to like it. Hey, at least the little brat didn't start crying over me.

I woke this duck up leaving on the cycle:
This waterfall seems to have a walkway built onto it. Something Indianapolis would have removed years ago because "it's an attractive hazard"... or something like that.
So I left Pendleton and continued up SR9. It crossed over I69 (I still have to steal a highway sign for myself), but I didn't feel like riding the interstate so I kept on up SR9. Crossing over the highway, I stopped for some liquid refreshment at a gas station and chatted with the cute check-out girl about Cedar Point.

Then I checked my map and kept on up SR9 into Anderson. From there I turned west towards Noblesville on SR32. Outside of Anderson I got stuck behind a Mitsubishi Eclipse doing just under the speed limit. I quickly got sick of it and was going to pass but it pulled into a gas station.

I kept on going but pulled over for a quick drink. I lingered, checking my map and such. Then headed back out. Falling right into line with... care to guess? Yep. The same Eclipse. Still doing under the speed limit. Again, it pulled off just as I was going to pass. Too strange.

So ended up in "Nobletucky" on SR37. I pulled onto 37 headed south to come home and stumbled over a strip mall area with a Best Buy. I went in to look for a CD but they didn't have it. They did have a Linen N Things and a Barnes & Noble bookstore. That area is getting as built up as Castleton. Can't call it Nobletucky much longer, I reckon.

I zipped down SR37 and over to the Glendale Mall Library to get a book I had on hold and headed on home for a quick nap. (You know us old folks...)

Oh yeah, somewhere in between Anderson and Noblesville, I stopped and took this last pic:

Just a nice day and a nice ride. Too bad rain makes them fewer and farther between.

And for the record, I have no idea if that show "Lost" is REALLY gay. I just said that to annoy my brother and Shane M. White, Esquire.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Shane M. White said...

Since WHEN am I an "esquire"??? I can only imagine it's a nod to one of this culture's GREATEST FILMS EVER - "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" - and if that's the nod, I'll GLADLY take it!

So, when we talked the other night, I told you I LOVED these blogs from you, pictures and stories - they're REALLY COOL! Thanks for putting up another one!

Also, here's my funny little interjection into this story. When I first moved back up to the NE-side of Indy - the intersection you are talking about has been COMPLETELY redone. So, one late, late night I was driving home (that back way) from Noblesville, and I missed the right turn, and kept going straight - on that road you mentioned. The next thing I knew - I was in FORTVILLE! Luckily, I could find my way home from there, but it was probably a half hour out of the way. It's too funny that you intentionally took the road which recieved much cursing from me at 3am.

Anyways, I'm glad you got such a nice ride yesterday - look like Weather.com LIED to me again! I sure didn't see any rain yesterday.

4:27 PM, July 23, 2006  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

How do you go down a road for a half hour and not notice it's the wrong one?

On what were you high?

5:40 PM, July 24, 2006  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

Well thanks for stopping by, Miss Historian! Don't be a stranger!

6:07 PM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger JACIII said...

Nice ride, MM. It's the backroads that will show you America. I-whatever all looks the same. No stories, no personalities, no downhome cookin'.

9:25 AM, July 30, 2006  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

Hey.... did you watch "Feasting On Asplault" last night? You sound like Alton Brown.

Fun show. I couldn't tell what Alton was riding, though.

I don't think I saw any eateries on the whole ride though. Didn't matter anyway because I ate before I left.

4:24 PM, July 30, 2006  
Blogger JACIII said...

Yankees can't cook anyway. You didn't miss nothin'.

1:05 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

Now, some of these Hoosiers can whip up some grub.

Look at my newest post.

9:17 PM, July 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home