Superman Returns... or does he?
I went to see Superman Returns tonight with my mom. Leaving aside its merits as a movie, I want to blather on a bit about an aspect of the movie. Let me give a bit of consideration to those who have not seen it:
SPOILERS AHEAD
So Lois Lane is a single mom, living with a long-term live-in boyfriend: Richard White. Does this bug anyone else? I didn't like reading about this fact when details of the movie first leaked. And I like it even less having just left viewing the film.
For anyone else that HAS seen the film: Does Richard KNOW it's NOT his kid? I can't see that he does. The movie certainly never explicitly says either way. I was left with the impression he thinks Jason is his child.
Quick aside: Jason is the closest they could come to Jesus I guess. It would be nice if the writers and/or Brian Singer could decide if Kal-El is God or Jesus...)
Back on topic: If Richard doesn't know it's Clark's kid, Lois is a bitch and a liar. There's no way around it. Now this makes a moral mess in Superman's world. He's a deadbeat dad and Lois is a conniving bitch. AND the kid seems to maybe know the truth about his real dad too. Leaving Richard as even more the dupe.
This simply seems too morally messy to be a Superman film.
Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned?
EDIT: So I'm reading around some message boards about this movie and someone hypothesizes that Lois and Superman banged boots and then he erased her memory a la Superman II. I guess this eliminates everyone's guilt, unless Lois started screwing Richard soon enough after Clark leaving, in which case she's still a slut. If she didn't, then Richard would KNOW it wasn't his kid and put up with her not telling him who the dad was. But then... man, this is just stupid and screwed up.
SPOILERS AHEAD
So Lois Lane is a single mom, living with a long-term live-in boyfriend: Richard White. Does this bug anyone else? I didn't like reading about this fact when details of the movie first leaked. And I like it even less having just left viewing the film.
For anyone else that HAS seen the film: Does Richard KNOW it's NOT his kid? I can't see that he does. The movie certainly never explicitly says either way. I was left with the impression he thinks Jason is his child.
Quick aside: Jason is the closest they could come to Jesus I guess. It would be nice if the writers and/or Brian Singer could decide if Kal-El is God or Jesus...)
Back on topic: If Richard doesn't know it's Clark's kid, Lois is a bitch and a liar. There's no way around it. Now this makes a moral mess in Superman's world. He's a deadbeat dad and Lois is a conniving bitch. AND the kid seems to maybe know the truth about his real dad too. Leaving Richard as even more the dupe.
This simply seems too morally messy to be a Superman film.
Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned?
EDIT: So I'm reading around some message boards about this movie and someone hypothesizes that Lois and Superman banged boots and then he erased her memory a la Superman II. I guess this eliminates everyone's guilt, unless Lois started screwing Richard soon enough after Clark leaving, in which case she's still a slut. If she didn't, then Richard would KNOW it wasn't his kid and put up with her not telling him who the dad was. But then... man, this is just stupid and screwed up.
Labels: movies

1 Comments:
It sounds like a freaking soap opera...A bad one (Like there are actually any "good" ones!?).
Glad I didn't waste $7 to watch that train wreck!
Post a Comment
<< Home