"HONKY"?????
I was listening to the song "Play That Funky Music, White Boy" at work. At the very end, barely audible, the singer says "Play that funky music... honky".
Now at first I was sort of pissed off, thinking "How is it okay for a black guy to say honky like that?" But then someone pointed out that the song was sung BY a white guy. And now somehow, I'm looking at it differently. Like maybe the singer's talking about racism he received playing funk and trying to make a statement about black racism and stereotypes.
Can you tell me why I'm wrong? On a certain level I think it shouldn't matter what color the speaker is when an epithet is uttered. That wrong is wrong and all that.
And yet, somehow it does make a big difference. So how can I still condemn blacks for saying "nigger" twenty times in one stupid and awful (c)rap song? I'm not so sure I can.
Thoughts?
Now at first I was sort of pissed off, thinking "How is it okay for a black guy to say honky like that?" But then someone pointed out that the song was sung BY a white guy. And now somehow, I'm looking at it differently. Like maybe the singer's talking about racism he received playing funk and trying to make a statement about black racism and stereotypes.
Can you tell me why I'm wrong? On a certain level I think it shouldn't matter what color the speaker is when an epithet is uttered. That wrong is wrong and all that.
And yet, somehow it does make a big difference. So how can I still condemn blacks for saying "nigger" twenty times in one stupid and awful (c)rap song? I'm not so sure I can.
Thoughts?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home