More Food For Food Thought... Or Something Like That...
Tip of the hat to this column.
From this book:
"One of the biggest evil influences on our diet is the presence of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), a sugar substitute that itself is a sugar found in soft drinks and many other sweet, processed foods. The problem is that HCFS inhibits leptin secretion, so you never get the message that you’re full. And it never shuts off gherin, so, even though you have food in your stomach, you constantly get the message that you’re hungry." (See page 192.)
This does not surprise me in the least if it's true. How else can I eat half a bag of Double-Stuff Mint Oreos in one sitting right after dinner and still feel starved? True, I'm on a steroid right now and those make me voracious (I love that word!). But still...
My only problem with the Lew Rockwell column isn't even an issue with the column itself. It's that stevia really sucks. It has a nasty aftertaste that I cannot personally overcome. And I really wanted to. Sweet taste with virtually zero calories? At least four cups of hot tea every day at work? That's got to be worth five pounds over the course of a year. Oh well.
I actually use a "raw" sugar. It's a dusky brown and tastes faintly of molasses. With all the tea I drink at work all day, I prefer not to stuff refined white sugar into my guts.
That's my philosophy with all foodstuffs. The less processing and the shorter the time and distance between ground where the plant grew and my mouth, the better.
From this book:
"One of the biggest evil influences on our diet is the presence of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), a sugar substitute that itself is a sugar found in soft drinks and many other sweet, processed foods. The problem is that HCFS inhibits leptin secretion, so you never get the message that you’re full. And it never shuts off gherin, so, even though you have food in your stomach, you constantly get the message that you’re hungry." (See page 192.)
This does not surprise me in the least if it's true. How else can I eat half a bag of Double-Stuff Mint Oreos in one sitting right after dinner and still feel starved? True, I'm on a steroid right now and those make me voracious (I love that word!). But still...
My only problem with the Lew Rockwell column isn't even an issue with the column itself. It's that stevia really sucks. It has a nasty aftertaste that I cannot personally overcome. And I really wanted to. Sweet taste with virtually zero calories? At least four cups of hot tea every day at work? That's got to be worth five pounds over the course of a year. Oh well.
I actually use a "raw" sugar. It's a dusky brown and tastes faintly of molasses. With all the tea I drink at work all day, I prefer not to stuff refined white sugar into my guts.
That's my philosophy with all foodstuffs. The less processing and the shorter the time and distance between ground where the plant grew and my mouth, the better.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home