Monday, October 20, 2008

Red Sox Reflections...

... another year in the books. Pretty dang close to getting back-to-back World Series appearances.

The Red Sox just didn't get it done. Their pitching wasn't good enough and they didn't swing the bat well enough either. They stranded a ton of runners and in the end it cost them.

They got beat, but thankfully not 4-1 as I feared. As much as I bitch about how the Sox could have saved me time and stress by not making it to game 7, I really enjoyed this series overall.

My biggest disappointment this ALCS was Big Papi. I had hoped his 3 run shot in game 5 was a return rather than a fluke.

I remember watching Johnny Damon struggling in 2004. He came to the plate and my brother David was dogging him. I said "home run right here". And he did it. It shook him right out of his slump. He even got that Grand Slam in game 7. (Though those might be the same play, for some reason I think they weren't. I want to say it was in the first round, I'm not sure.)

I wish Ortiz could have done the same thing this time. He just didn't have a spark this year, sad to say. I wonder how much losing Manny (that stupid rat bastard) affected his spirits.

Oh well. There's always next year.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

They totally blew it last night. J.D. Drew looking at strike 3 (you just can't take that pitch) and Varitek couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The Rays wanted it more. You could just see it, they were pumped. Now I wouldn't say anyone player wanted it more than Pedroia, Youk or Pap but as a whole the Rays wanted it. Bring in Tex.

7:44 PM, October 20, 2008  
Blogger mmaier2112 said...

Didn't Crisp watch three blow by him too?

I don't think the Rays wanted it more. They seemed as though the wind was out of their sails ever since losing game 5.

And how come you're not calling Francona an idiot as usual?

9:33 PM, October 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home