Is It Envy...?
...if a friend has something you would like to happen to you as well?
A friend told me some great news the other day. I'm happy for his blessing, I really am. I'm not wishing him ill or wanting to take away from his happiness, which seem to be key components of the words "envy" and "jealousy" (Maybe I need an Oxford dictionary, Nate?). And I certainly know I don't "covet" him.
I just want a similar thing for me too. And I'm very surprised by how empty I feel at not having something I wasn't even sure I wanted. But I guess I really do.
So is there a word I'm silly-ly overlooking here?
The linguistics of this are just bugging me. And maybe the Biblical aspects too, though I have no notion that I'm even doing anything wrong. I'm just blabbing... I know.
Thoughts?
EDIT: from dictionary.com: "1. a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc."
I'll take that one, I guess.
A friend told me some great news the other day. I'm happy for his blessing, I really am. I'm not wishing him ill or wanting to take away from his happiness, which seem to be key components of the words "envy" and "jealousy" (Maybe I need an Oxford dictionary, Nate?). And I certainly know I don't "covet" him.
I just want a similar thing for me too. And I'm very surprised by how empty I feel at not having something I wasn't even sure I wanted. But I guess I really do.
So is there a word I'm silly-ly overlooking here?
The linguistics of this are just bugging me. And maybe the Biblical aspects too, though I have no notion that I'm even doing anything wrong. I'm just blabbing... I know.
Thoughts?
EDIT: from dictionary.com: "1. a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc."
I'll take that one, I guess.

2 Comments:
If there is such a thing as a healthy dose of envy I think dear boy you've got it!
Perhaps knowing there is "more" that you want...
song interlude - *tell me what you want, what you really, really, want*
...will help YOU focus in on and obtain said goals.
Hey, as a friend of mine suggests to her husband all too often, "Blow sunshine up my ass, just for once!"
I could just be doing that ;)
hmmmm... or maybe that Oxford dictionary will give me a definition I want?
Yeah, I know... not likely.
It's rare I find the language wanting, but it applies in this case.
Post a Comment
<< Home