Faith? Hope? Love?
Watching Shawshank Redemption just now... for some reason, it made me think of this song:
We see it on TV, we get calls on the phone
By the prophets of doom, they won't leave us alone.
The planet is dying and there's no time to spare.
They spend all our days sowing seeds of despair.
We get enough bad news to harden our hearts.
This fear that we feed on is what's keeping us apart.
To say that we're doomed is just an obvious remark.
And it don't make you right, it just keeps you in the dark.
I don't want to live angry, I don't want to live scared.
I don't need no more prophets crying "brother beware."
Just put some work in my hands and give me a dollar to spare.
And don't let me sow those seeds of despair.
Well, this earth is a graveyard, it will swallow our bones.
It was here long before us, It will be here when we're gone.
And it's a vain generation that looks for a sign.
Don't you think we could make better use of our time.
Yeah, the air could be cleaner and the water could too.
But what we do to each other are the worst things that we do.
And we can treasure our freedom behind our locked doors.
But God speed the day when we're lonely no more.
I don't want to live angry, I don't want to live scared.
I don't need no more prophets crying "brother beware."
Just put some work in my hands and give me a dollar to spare.
And don't let me sow those seeds of despair --- John Mellencamp, "Another Sunny Day 12/25"
I love this song. Probably his best.
I just wish I could manage more than the first of the three words in this blog title. This world is awfully good at beating us down, ain't it?
"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things." - Andy Dufrane, Shawshank
Hard-hitting words.
I hope I can live out my life without the confrontation I fear is coming all too soon. I don't want to choose between living free and dying. I most of all hope I never have to pointedly face down the conflict between defending my life and living out what I believe my faith calls me to do. I have the deepest fear I am going to choose earthly justice and disappoint my Savior.
While I'm at it, I hope for a lithe, young, fertile blonde nympho who is Biblically complaint.
Well, heck... it's as likely as my other hopes.
We see it on TV, we get calls on the phone
By the prophets of doom, they won't leave us alone.
The planet is dying and there's no time to spare.
They spend all our days sowing seeds of despair.
We get enough bad news to harden our hearts.
This fear that we feed on is what's keeping us apart.
To say that we're doomed is just an obvious remark.
And it don't make you right, it just keeps you in the dark.
I don't want to live angry, I don't want to live scared.
I don't need no more prophets crying "brother beware."
Just put some work in my hands and give me a dollar to spare.
And don't let me sow those seeds of despair.
Well, this earth is a graveyard, it will swallow our bones.
It was here long before us, It will be here when we're gone.
And it's a vain generation that looks for a sign.
Don't you think we could make better use of our time.
Yeah, the air could be cleaner and the water could too.
But what we do to each other are the worst things that we do.
And we can treasure our freedom behind our locked doors.
But God speed the day when we're lonely no more.
I don't want to live angry, I don't want to live scared.
I don't need no more prophets crying "brother beware."
Just put some work in my hands and give me a dollar to spare.
And don't let me sow those seeds of despair --- John Mellencamp, "Another Sunny Day 12/25"
I love this song. Probably his best.
I just wish I could manage more than the first of the three words in this blog title. This world is awfully good at beating us down, ain't it?
"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things." - Andy Dufrane, Shawshank
Hard-hitting words.
I hope I can live out my life without the confrontation I fear is coming all too soon. I don't want to choose between living free and dying. I most of all hope I never have to pointedly face down the conflict between defending my life and living out what I believe my faith calls me to do. I have the deepest fear I am going to choose earthly justice and disappoint my Savior.
While I'm at it, I hope for a lithe, young, fertile blonde nympho who is Biblically complaint.
Well, heck... it's as likely as my other hopes.
Labels: Faith

1 Comments:
Mike, a wise man (who at that point wasn't quite a believer) once told me "God doesn't promise you heaven on earth, he promises heaven IN HEAVEN." I go back to this quite a lot!!!!
Do you remember when you said this to me? It was at a serious rough time in my life, and I think about it and you all the time.
Now if you were Catholic, you'd be almost perfect (wink)
Post a Comment
<< Home